Girl Scouts - Diamonds of Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas provides the premier leadership program for girls in 79 counties. The Diamonds Council serves all counties in Arkansas except Crittenden; Adair, LeFlore and Sequoyah counties in Oklahoma; and Cass and Bowie counties in Texas.
GSDAOT is divided into around 70 geographic areas knows as Service Units that are managed and staffed by volunteers and have three primary functions:
- To deliver and extend the Girl Scout program to all girls grades K - 12 in all socioeconomic, religious and ethnic groups within the jurisdiction.
- To give ongoing support to adults who work with girls.
- To offer and promote opportunities for troops in the Service Unit.
What Does a Service Unit Do?
Service Unit team members and troop representatives meet several times throughout the year to share ideas, receive training, and talk about important announcements.
Service Units may organize events like:
- Community-wide service projects
- Summer day camps
- Family events
- Cookie Rallies
- Thinking Day celebrations
- Award ceremonies
Service Unit Meetings
Most Service Areas meet monthly during the school year and all Troop Leaders (01 and 02) are encouraged to attend. If no Troop Leaders can attend, a member of the Troop Committee should attend.
Service Unit Meeting List (COMING SOON)
During meetings, Troop Leaders:
- Network with each other
- Give input and help make decisions about Service Area program opportunities for troops
- Receive information from Council staff, community and Service Area
- Receive brief, informal training
- Receive pre-ordered items from the Council Shops
There will be Council staff and community information at the monthly Service Unit Meetings.
The volunteer Service Unit Director (SUD) and the Service Team assume the administrative responsibility of Girl Scouting in the Service Unit, working within policies, standards and procedures set by GSUSA and GSDAOT. The Service Team is a group of volunteers recruited by the SUD to help deliver services to girls and volunteers in the Service Unit.
Service Team Positions
All Service Team appointments are one-year terms with yearly reappointment. All Service Team members are required to attend training for their positions and to attend monthly Service Unit Meetings.